Regreening Africa is building on successful land restoration in the Maradi and Zinder regions of Niger where an estimated 5 million hectares have been restored. To expand this across the country, World Vision Niger is leading a partnership of development, research and government partners.
World Vision Niger
Government departments (Departmental Directorate for Environment (DDE), Departmental Directorate for Agriculture (DDA), local governments)
Approaches to reversing land degradation
- Building the capacity of communities.
- Supporting the development of agroforestry value chains
- Communicating successes to policy makers to promote further investment in regreening
- 40,000 hectares restored to productivity
- 90,000 households’ incomes improved
- Farmers aware of the benefits of sustainable land management
- The rights of women to access and control land is improved
- Agroforestry value chains provide increased incomes for farmers
- Farmers have the most useful knowledge, skills and equipment to establish sustainable livelihoods
1 CNEDD, 2005